This post is sponsored thank you for supporting The Staten Island Family
Last Monday, March 27, all four Teletubbies — Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po — visited some of New York’s best known sights, including the Brooklyn Bridge, Flatiron Building, Times Square and Central Park. And guess who went along for the ride?! Yours Truly!
At each stop, they gave their trademark Big Hugs, to one another and anyone else who wanted one, and posed for pictures and selfies. Check out my fun video below!
Yes that's right even in the dreary NYC rain the Teletubbies brought their own brand of sunshine as only these adorable and magical creatures can.
Here I am getting hugs in front of the Flatiron Building in NYC!
So just who are the Teletubbies ( for those of you who have never encountered these gentle creatures?)
A global phenomenon never seen before or since, the Teletubbies first launched in March 1997 and created a media frenzy transcending all ages, to become one of the most successful global children’s brands of all time. resonates with young children, and the brand benefits – caring, sharing and learning with laughter
And the best news!!! The Teletubbies are back and better than ever on Nick Jr! The new series features 60 brand new 12-minute episodes that are visually-enhanced, bringing a refreshed, colorful and contemporary look and feel to one of the world’s best-loved preschool properties.
The four huggable main characters — Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po — retain their original bright colors and distinctive antennae, but the stories and the world around them have been updated to cater to today’s tech-savvy preschoolers. Meet them below:
Meet Tinky Winky
The live action sequences that appear on the Teletubbies’ tummies are still a key feature of the show. Filmed from a child’s perspective, each short film corresponds to the theme of the episode. Using pioneering technology, Teletubbyland and Home Hill have been visually enriched to create a magical environment for preschoolers to let their imaginations run wild. Intricate details such as stunning flowers, that viewers will see grow from buds into fully-fledged blooms, add bursts of glorious color.
To coincide with the launch of the new Teletubbies show, this Spring sees a host of new Teletubbies products for babies and toddlers at retail, including a line of cuddly, soft plush toys from Spin Master, a series of DVDs from Sony including the most recent, “Big Hugs,” and a new learning app from Built Games.
And we got a chance to celebrate their new series and this big milestone with them! Check out all the fun we had at their 20th anniversary party below!
And now– 20 facts about The TeleTubbies!
1. Teletubbies was launched in March 1997 and became a global phenomenon.
2. The original episodes have aired in more than 120 territories across 45 languages.
3. Teletubbies was the first TV character brand specifically devised to aid learning and development for children as young as 6 months.
4. The four Teletubbies, named Tinky-Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po, live in the bucolic Teletubbyland.
5. They are renowned for their favorite foods, Tubby Toast and Tubby Custard, and their recognizable phrases, such as ‘Eh-oh’ and ‘Tubby Bye-bye’!
6. Over 50 million Teletubbies plush toys have been sold worldwide, with over 33 million videos and DVDs sold to date — 5.1 million in the U.K. and over 10 million in the USA.
7. Former New York City mayor Mike Bloomberg declared March 28, 2007 ‘Teletubbies Day’ and awarded the Teletubbies a key to the city.
8. In 2015 the multi-award winning brand was named as one of the Best Children’s TV Programs of the last 50 years, by a panel of 100 international kids’ television experts.
9. One of the most recognized children’s brands in the world, it resonates with young children. The core brand benefits – caring, sharing and learning with laughter — are still as relevant today as they were in 1997. 10. The NEW Teletubbies premiered in the U.S. on Nick Jr. on May 30, 2016.
11. Many people report Teletubbies as one of their children’s first favorite characters. 12. Teletubbies continues to garner up to 100 million YouTube views per month!
13. Original Teletubbies fans are now in their twenties.
14. The Teletubbies themselves never age.
15. The original Teletubbies has been reimagined and brought into the 21st century with pioneering production techniques and updated storylines designed to appeal to a new generation of tech-savvy toddlers.
16. The new Teletubbies’ more contemporary viewing experience captures young children’s imaginations in a fun, happy, safe, modern-day world.
17. The Teletubbies’ updates include Touch-Screen Tummies and other all-new elements like the Tubby Phone smartphone and Tubby Custard Ride.
18. To coincide with the launch of the new series, a new range of Teletubbies cuddly, soft, plush toys and DVDs are now available at all major retailers. Teletubbies interactive digital apps are available on the App Store and Google Play. 19.
On March 28, 2017 the Teletubbies celebrated the 20th anniversary with a ‘Teletubbies 20’ Gala in New York City.
20. The Teletubbies are famous for their Big Hugs! Have you had a hug today?