This is a sponsored post. Thank you for supporting The Staten Island Family
My husband loves sports. Not just one particular sport- in other words if there is a game on he will WATCH IT. And I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him as thrilled about our cable company as he’s been about us having Verizon Fios— since it affords him the opportunity to ALWAYS HAVE A SPORTS GAME ON THE READY. With our Fios Custom Channel package he can watch every game; baseball, football, golf, college and pro- essentially if it’s on he will watch it. And yes it drives me-his wife crazy.
Up until recently it really annoyed me because he would watch alone and I felt it was time that could be better spent with me or our kids! And then something REALLY WONDERFUL happened. Fortunately our son has recently taken an interest in sports as much or maybe more than my husband. To be honest I never believed my husband cared one way or the other about whether or not he had a sport watching buddy. But apparently since our son’s interest in watching sports was peaked they are like two peas in a pod and my husband has divulged that he hoped to have a son he could bond with but never dared say it- lest our son couldn’t fill that role. With summer vacation nearly half over I thought I would share 4Ways you can facilitate Father Son Bonding with Verizon #FiosNY this season!
#1 WATCH ALL THE GAMES!! Our son is a great kid and he immerses himself in his interest dujour. And up until about 18 months ago he would take an interest in many different things other than sports like superheroes, art and drawing, mythology and every month it was something new that he would focus on. Then it started, slowly at first, but now he cannot get enough of sports especially baseball.
And the two of them LITERALLY watch baseball every night on Fox Sports 1 and TBS until they fell asleep, with their Tablet! But the cool part is their conversation about stats and history organically lends itself to other conversations (that actually include me!) Yes it’s true when he wakes up before school my son is watching highlights on the MLB Network and on Sundays and Thursdays and on Monday night they watch football on CBS, Fox and ESPN but this common interest has also brought my husband and son closer and thanks to Fios they have the ability to watch in any room on our tablet until we fall asleep.
2) Play in the Water and WATCH all the activity that happens underwater on FIOS! Our son cannot get enough of the water and if you have a son who also believes he is a fish in the water- you are in luck! You and your lil fishie can catch Shark Week on Fios— and a chance to swim in Atlantis. Enter the Shark Week Swimming in Adventure Sweepstakes, and you could be heading to Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas. Just be careful in the water. Tune in to Shark Week, 7.23–7.30, on Discovery on FIOS
3) Indulge in some feel good movies! Raining or hot as Dante’s InFerno outside? No problem do some things inside too. Bonding with your kid is a no brianer when popcorn and a movie is part of the equation! You can rent hit titles like Fist Fight, The LEGO Batman Movie and Split(Alternate Ending) for only $3.99 each (plus taxes and fees).
On your Fios TV go to
On Demand / Movies /
Fios Movie Deals /
Fios Movie Night
2) Go on HIKES and learn all about Nature on FIOS! My husband and son go for amazing hikes in the wooded areas of the Greenbelt and we get to go up small hills and inclines that can be a little difficult. We get to see nature and frequently see deer as well as a lot of other small creatures. And then they continue to bond over their love for nature and watch shows like NATURE on PBS.
4) Go on an adventure and download movies on your FIOS mobile app(so your kid can watch offline while you are in the car!) Our son has been the one who has gotten us to load up the car and take off on a sponstaneous adventure. This summer let your kid choose an off the beaten path place to explore and wile you are driving The Fios™ Mobile app^ makes it easy to keep him busy!
2. Select Premium from the On Demand menu
3. Click on SHOWTIME®, STARZ® or EPIX®
4. Find a movie or show and click Download under the poster, then find it in My Library and enjoy!
Video On Demand content:
1. Buy or rent a Fios® On Demand movie or show
2. Find your purchase in My Library
3. Click Download under the poster
4. Access the movie or show anytime to watch offline