What better excuse for a diet “cheat day” than a date on the calendar that only comes around every four years??
If you plan to indulge in a few more sweets than usual this Leap Day check out these three delicious (and not-too-bad-for-you) Granola recipes made with Viki’s Original Granola, a blend of gluten-free oats, organic honey, almonds, pecans and unsweetened coconut. It is simply, the best tasting, good for you granola.
Homemade Granola Truffles. These truffles are easy to make with just four simple ingredients and make for a perfect sweet treat – the hardest part is trying to limit yourself to only eating one!
1 2/3 cups heavy cream
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate, cut or broken into shards
12oz bag of Viki’s Granola for rolling truffle
Place cream and butter into a saucepan. Allow butter to melt on medium heat, stirring the whole time. Raise the heat just until the cream mixture comes to a boil.
Remove saucepan from heat, add the chocolate and stir until it is completely melted. Continue stirring until the mixtures thickens and cools a bit. Cover mixture with cellophane and place in refrigerator. Allow at least 2 hours to cool and thicken for at least 2 hours but mix 3 to 4 times during that time.
To form truffles use a small melon baller or spoon to scoop chocolate mixture into the palm of your hand. Roll into a ball then roll in your favorite Viki’s Granola. Place completed balls on a parchment-lined tray and refrigerate before serving.
Cranberry Maple Granola Cookies
- 4 cups Viki’s Cranberry Maple Granola
- 1 ¾ stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat over 375 degrees F
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats
- Working with a stand up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes
- Add the sugar & beat for another 3 minutes
- Add the egg and salt and beat until well bl;ended
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour, mixing only until incorporated, then ass the granola
- Make sure to remove any bits of dry ingredients left at the bottom with a rubber spatula
- Scoop out rounded tablespoon of dough; arrange the mounds on baking sheets leaving 1 ½ inches of space between them
- Flatten the mounds lightly with your fingertips
- Bake 10-12 minutes. The cookies should be golden brown but not firm
- Let them cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack
Banana Granola Pops
3 tablespoons Viki’s Banana Walnut Granola
6 ounces dark chocolate chips or shards
8 Popsicle sticks
Peel, cut bananas in half crosswise and insert Popsicle sticks. Place on a parchment-lined tray, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for about 3 hours.
Place Viki’s Banana Walnut Granola into a shallow dish. Melt chocolate in a double boiler over slightly simmering water, over low heat, constantly stirring. Pour the chocolate into a tall glass. Dip each banana into the chocolate and roll in the granola straightaway. Place on a parchment-lined tray. Serve immediately or wrap individually in parchment paper or plastic wrap in the freezer.